What does Digitisation of TV services mean?
What is the Digitisation Bill passed by the Government of India?
TV signals are currently distributed in the country in analog as well as in digital and terrestrial formats. A digital format provides better picture quality & sound and other benefits leading to a better quality service. Most cable operators
in the country are providing analog TV service
while all DTH operators
are providing a digital TV
service. Digitisation means that all cable TV households would receive digital TV
signals through a Set Top Box
. As part of Digitisation
, every cable operator will be legally bound to transmit digital signals, which can be received at the subscriber's home only through a Set Top Box
, often called a STB
Is there a deadline by when the Digitisation process has to be completed?
A bill aimed at digitising the cable industry by December 31, 2014 has been passed by the Central government. This bill mandates that all cable TV operators
will have to transmit TV signals in an encrypted format through a digital addressable system. This will be done through the installation of Set Top Box
in every cable TV
As per the Digitisation bill passed by the government- Mumbai, Delhi, Kolkata & Chennai were to be fully digitised by 31 October 2012 as part of Phase 1.
What is the difference between Digitisation & CAS?
The following 38 cities/towns will be digitized by March 31 2013 - Bangalore, Hyderabad, Surat, Ahmedabad, Coimbatore, Vishakhapatnam, Nagpur, Kanpur, Ludhiana, Thane, Jaipur, Vadodara, Ghaziabad, Lucknow, Patna, Indore, Nashik, Agra, Kalyan - Dombivli, Pimpri-Chinchwad, Aurangabad, Mysore, Bhopal, Jabalpur, Rajkot, Srinagar, Howrah, Pune, Navi Mumbai, Chandigarh, Meerut, Jodhpur, Solapur, Amritsar, Ranchi, Allahabad, Varanasi, Faridabad.
What are the benefits of Digitisation?
Digitisation is the process of providing cable television signals in digital rather than analog mode. This requires television signals to be routed through a digital Set Top Box
to the television.
The system used to control the distribution of digital television signals is called a Conditional Access System or CAS. This ensures that only the signals chosen and paid for by a subscriber are able to be received by that subscriber.
It will provide a better TV viewing experience for consumers. They will enjoy better picture & sound clarity, enhanced services such HD & Video on Demand (VOD), a range of Interactive services and the freedom to choose from a bouquet of channels & pay only for those selected.
Post implementation of Digitisation, does everyone have to buy a Set Top Box?
What if the cable operators do not provide a Set Top Box?
Post implementation of Digitisation
, a Set Top Box
will be necessary to continue receiving signals from the service provider of your choice (Cable operator/DTH operator). The Set Top Box
can be either procured from your existing cable operator
or you can upgrade to a DTH operator
of your choice. If you don't buy a Set Top Box
before that you may not be able to continue watching cable television
We are still many months away from the deadline. Why should I buy a Set Top Box immediately?
Cable operators who do not provide a Set Top Box
may no longer be able to continue their service. All such cable TV homes may not be able to watch TV channels
without a Set Top Box
Can I also buy a Set Top Box from my cable operator?
Before 31 March 2013 you will have to buy a Set Top Box
to continue receiving cable or DTH signals on your TV in the above cities. Considering there will be likely a last minute rush which will result in hassle & complication of Set Top Box
availability, delay in installation etc., it is a good idea to make the transition as early as possible. As buying a Set Top Box
is inevitable, it is advisable to upgrade now to a Set Top Box
and start enjoying the digital TV experience. For example, you can start enjoying the India Australia cricket series, the upcoming IPL cricket tournament or any of your favorite serials or movies in digital quality rather than postponing it.
What should I look for when buying a Set Top Box – Digital cable vs DTH?
While you have the choice of buying a Set Top Box
from your cable operator
, it is advisable to evaluate all the options available in the market before buying any Set Top Box
Are there any problems in receiving a DTH service during rains?
A number of factors should be considered before deciding which Set Top Box
to buy. Make sure you do a thorough comparison between Set Top Box
provided by Digital Cable and DTH. Few points to keep in mind before making a decision:
- Expertise in Digital TV - Does the service provider have adequate experience, infrastructure, technology and relevant expertise to offer a good quality digital TV service. Do they have a track record of providing high quality Set Top Boxes and a reliable service to many consumers?
- Types of Set Top Boxes - Does the service provider give you only 1 type of Set Top or does he have a range of different types of Set Top Boxes to meet your requirements ( such as a Standard definition box , a High definition box and a High Definition Digital Video Recorder box )
- High Definition content - Does the service provider give you genuine HD channels?
- Warranty – Does the service provider give a warranty on its Set Top Boxes?
- Interactive services - In addition to TV channels, will you be able to choose from a range of interactive services for each member of the family?
- High Definition (HD) service - Does the service provider give an HD service with the best of HD channels?
- Convenience - Can you make your payments through a Helpline, mobile or on the Internet? Can you buy recharge vouchers and are they easily available?
- Video on Demand service – Does the service provider give you a Video on Demand service which gives you access to a large library of movies, TV shows and concerts?
- Channels of your choice - Will you have the option to choose your favorite channels / packages & only pay for those?
- Customer Service - Does the service provider offer good quality customer service with professional installation, after sales support (with 24x7 call centers), guidance & counseling in service enhancement?
is a very reliable TV service which has now been in existence for several years. Millions of happy customers across the world have been watching television on DTH services
. As TV signals are transmitted from a satellite and received via a dish and antennae, it is possible that sometimes there is interference due to rains. However such instances are really exceptions. In case of Tata Sky, the TV signal availability annually has been in excess of 99% in most parts of the country. This provides for a highly reliable and almost interference free service and compares very well with other services such as a mobile phone service. Moreover even a cable service
can be susceptible to loss of signal due to a number of reasons.